Houston’s is known for high quality and tasty salads. This one contains black beans, corn, lettuce, cheese, with a spicy Caesar dressing.
If concerned about using raw egg yolk in the dressing because the risk of salmonella poisoning, use egg substitute, or omit egg from recipe.
Image by Shutterstock.
Houston’s Southwest Caesar Salad
You are going to love this Houston's Southwest Caesar Salad
- 2 Heads romaine lettuce , washed and torn into 1 1/2 x 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Spicy Caesar Dressing (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup roasted corn kernels
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips Julianned, and multi colored
Salad Dressing Recipe
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 ounce anchovy fillets
- 1 1/2 teaspons black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sambal chili paste (Thai Chili Paste)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Spin or pat dry lettuce and place in large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss lightly. Add beans and corn; toss again. Divide mixture among 4 chilled plates. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and cheese. Garnish with tortilla chips. For salad dressing Combine yolk, garlic, mustard, anchovies, pepper, salt, coriander, cumin, Worcestershire & water in food processor; process until smooth. With motor running, pour oils in a slow, steady stream into egg mixture. When all oil has been incorporated, add chili paste, lemon & lime juices, and Parmesan; process until smooth.