The Black Labrador is located in Houston, TX. This is a wonderful recipe for bread pudding, and the Brandy Cream Sauce adds a very nice touch! This recipe was originally spotted in the Houston Chronicle.
Black Labrador Bread Pudding
This bread pudding is delicious and moist. You won't regret making this one at home.
- 2 apples, preferably Granny Smith
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 loaves French bread (large loaves not baguettes)
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- Brandy cream sauce (see below)
- Chop apples into small bite-sized pieces. Soak apples in lemon juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate overnight before using.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove crust from 1 loaf french bread and slice lengthwise down the middle, then cut into 8 pieces.
Pour milk into a small pot and add granulated sugar; bring to a boil. Beat eggs, brandy, and almond flavoring together. Whisk in a little of the hot milk, then add remainder, whisking until mixed.
Layer half the bread pieces in a 9-inch square pan; pour half the liquid mixture over it. Mash mixture with your hands, then pat down into a layer.
Mix prepared apples with nutmeg, remaining cinnamon, remaining brown sugar, some of the remaining milk mixture and raisins; spoon over bread.
Remove crust from remaining bread; cut bread into 1 1/2 inch rounds. Overlap bread on top of apples and pour the remaining milk mixture on top.
Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven; glaze with apricot preserves. Cut bread pudding into servings; place each serving in a bowl.
Pour Brandy Cream Sauce over each serving; serve hot. Makes 9 servings.