This recipe is from fellow viewer Barbara Eversole. Thanks for this wonderful side dish!
Luby's Cafeteria Mixed Squash Casserole
Luby's Cafeteria - Mixed Squash Casserole
This is a wonderful dish for any gathering!
- 1 cup carrots, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 cups yellow squash slices, 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups zucchini slices, 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10 ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled cornbread
- 2/3 cup dry white bread, torn or chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring about 4 cups water to a boil. Add carrots. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 6 minutes. Add squash, zucchini and onion. Continue simmering uncovered 3-4 minutes or until carrots are tender crisp.
Drain and transfer to a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together soup, sour cream, salt and pepper until well blended. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine cornbread and torn white bread. Drizzle with butter. Toss lightly to coat evenly. Remove foil. Top vegetable mixture with cornbread mixture. Continue baking 5 minutes.Print Recipe