This recipe is from fellow viewer Barbara Eversole. Thanks for this wonderful side dish!
Luby’s Cafeteria – Mixed Squash Casserole
You can make Luby's Cafeteria famous mixed squash casserole at home.
- 1 cup carrots sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 cups yellow squash slices 1/4-inch thick
- 4 cups zucchini slices 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 10.25 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled cornbread
- 2/3 cup dry white bread , torn or chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium saucepan, bring about 4 cups water to a boil. Add carrots. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 6 minutes. Add squash, zucchini, and onion. Continue simmering uncovered 3-4 minutes or until carrots are tender-crisp.
Drain and transfer to a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together soup, sour cream, salt, and pepper until well blended. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine cornbread and torn the white bread.
Drizzle with butter. Toss lightly to coat evenly. Remove foil. Top vegetable mixture with cornbread mixture. Continue baking 5 minutes.