Recipe from Sue Manley. Houston, TX. 1995.
1015 Surprise Casserole
Enjoy this 1015 Surprise casserole, sweet Texan onions make up this special casserole.
- 1/4 cup butter plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 sized 1015 Onions peeled and chopped
- 2 cup shredded Swiss cheese divided use
- 1 cup crushed Saltine Crackers divided use
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onions and saute until tender. Place half of the onions in a 1 1/2 qt. deep-dish pie pan. Sprinkle 1 cup Swiss cheese and 1/2 cup cracker crumbs over onions. Repeat layers of onions and cheese.
In a medium-sized bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pout evenly over onion mixture. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; stir in remaining cracker crumbs. Lightly brown, then sprinkle crumbs over casserole. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Good with beef or Ham.