Chicken Gumbo is one of the south’s favorite recipes during Mardis Gras. Gumbo is most often made with seafood, but here is one made with chicken.
You can make great Chicken gumbo with this easy recipe.
- 3 ounces boned chicken breasts s (cut into 1/2" strips)
- 6 strips bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn kernels preferably cut from the cob
- 1 1/2 cups okra cut into 1/2 " pieces
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cajun spices
- 1 teaspoon parsley
In a large pot, fry the bacon. Remove the bacon and set aside. Add the oil to the bacon drippings that are in the pot. Dredge the chicken in flour and brown them in the pot.
This may have to be done in several batches. Pour the chicken broth over browned chicken and boil. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and season before serving. You may add the bacon to the soup, if desired. Serves 8.