Looking for a good chili recipe? Lady Bird Johnson was known to pass out this recipe to all.
Lady Bird Johnson's Pedernales Chili
Make Lady Bird Johnson's Pedernales Chili at home with this recipe. As with many Texas Chilis, this recipe has no beans.
- 4 pounds chili meat (beef chuck ground or cut into + inch dice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 14.5 ounces canned whole tomatoes and their liquid
- 2-6 generous dashes of liquid hot sauce (I recommend Frank's Red Hot Sauce)
Saute the meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly colored. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off fat while cooking. Salt to taste.