Macaroni and cheese is a type of casserole that is simply comfort food.. If you go to a cafeteria it is often one of the most favorite dishes there. Perfect for kids and adults. Thanks to Judy DeSouter we have her family recipe for how she wows her guests with her favorite macaroni and cheese recipe.
Macaroni and Cheese
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
It is really hard to beat homemade macaroni and cheese.
- 2 (8 ounces) packages of Cracker Barrel Sharp Yellow Cheddar (no substitutes)
- 1 (16 ounces) package of elbow macaroni or any other pasta
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 cups milk (I use powdered milk which is fat free and cheaper than fresh milk)
Cube the cheese. Cook the macaroni while preparing the cheese sauce. Sauté onion in butter until soft and transparent. Add the flour and pepper, cooking for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the milk slowly, continuously stirring. This may be done in several batches. Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Add the cheese gradually and stir constantly until all of the cheese is melted. Drain macaroni and pour cheese sauce into pot. Stir well. Pour into a 13 x 9 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.Print Recipe