Walking the streets of Manhattan you see the Sabretts push cars everywhere. While these may not be in your town, you can make their special onion relish with this copy cat recipe.
Sabretts Onions in sauce
Thanks for CarolynTLyons for sharing this recipe.
Sabretts Onions in Sauce
Make this New York City classic dish at home.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions sliced thin and chopped
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Corn Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup Vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté sliced onion in oil for 5 minutes, until onions are soft, but not brown. Add 3 cups water, tomato paste, corn syrup, corn starch and salt; stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce hear and simmer for 45 minutes. Add vinegar. Continue to simmer an additional 30-45 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced and the sauce is thick.