This is a spicy and unique onion soup recipe with southwest flavor. This soup is loaded with flavors; sherry, cheese, peppers, chilies, and so much more.
Cafe Terra Cotta Cram Oaxacan Sweet Onion Soup
Cafe Terra Cotta Creamy Oaxacan Sweet Onion Soup
If you like French Onion soup, give this southwestern flavored dish a try.
- 2 large Yellow onions halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/16 cup chopped garlic
- 1/8 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 quart Chicken stock
- 3 Oaxaca chilies* --- Chile pasilla (Or substitute drained canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce or dried chipotle chilies.)
- 1/4 quart heavy cream
- 1/4 pound shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 diced poblano pepper
- salt to taste
Garnish - Blue Cheese Croutons
- Garnish: Blue Cheese Croutons
- 1/2 Baguette sliced
- 1 ounce Blue cheese
- 1/8 cup sliced sauteed
- Sauté onions in butter until tender. Add garlic and sherry. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add chicken stock and Oaxaca chilies; bring to boil.Simmer 30 minutes. Discard chilies. Add cream, cheese and diced poblano chilies. Simmer 5 minutes. Adjust salt if necessary.For Garnish: Spread baguette slices with blue cheese and warm.For Each Serving: Float a baguette slice in center of each soup bowl. Heap a couple of sautéed onion slices on baguette.
Last Updated on