My wife and I had this home made pie several years ago at a diner in Vermont. We made several attempts at recreating it and this is the result.
Arne's Fabulous Fruit of the Forest Pie
Thanks to asandness for sharing this recipe.
Arne’s Fabulous Fruit of the Forest Pie
You can make one of these famous fruit pies at home.
- 1 cup white sugar (or to taste)
- 6 heaping tablespoons cornstarch (or substitute dry tapioca per package directions)
- 5 large baking apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 16-ounces bag fresh or frozen unsweetened halved strawberries, drained
- 1 16-ounces bag fresh or frozen red raspberries, drained
- 1 16-ounces bag fresh or frozen blackberries, drained
- 1 16-ounces bag fresh or frozen rhubarb, drained
- 2 recipe double pie crust
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar and cornstarch (or tapioca).
Add fruit; gently tossing until berries are coated. When using frozen fruit allow fruit mixture to stand for 15 to 30 minutes or until fruit is thawed.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Stir berry mixture, and transfer half to the crust lined pie plate. Top with second crust, seal and crimp the edge. Repeat with second pie. To prevent over browning, cover the edge of the pie with foil.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes when using fresh fruit, 50 minutes for frozen fruit. Remove foil. Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Thanks to asandness for sharing this recipe.Print Recipe