If you are going to New Orleans, Brennan’s is a restaurant you definitely want to stop at. You can’t go wrong here, home of the Banana’s Foster dessert. Here is their fresh Oyster Soup.
Brennan’s Oyster Soup
Yield: 8 servings.
Brennan’s Oyster Soup – have a taste of New Orleans any night of the week.
You can enjoy Brennen's Oyster soup at home with this easy recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 dozen large, freshly shucked oysters
- 12 cups oyster water (the oyster liquor plus sufficient water to make up 12 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a six quart heavy saucepan, then sauté the celery and green onions until tender but not browned, stirring frequently. Gradually stir in the flour and cook five minutes longer, stirring constantly over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for twenty minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and scoop out the bay leaves with a slotted spoon or a long fork; discard. Serve immediately. Do not reheat.