I almost didn’t want to share this with you. I am a grown woman, and I love, no I *LOVE* Frito Pies. My love for a Frito pie happened many years ago, it happened at a football game. Not only was I in love with the halfback, well I loved this mysterious dish as well. I didn’t grow up in the South, I moved to Texas when I was 15 years old. Someone said to me, you want a Frito Pie? I had no clue. I know if you don’t live in the South, you may have never heard of one of these. And honestly not many places serve these, I know Jason’s Deli serves these, as well as Sonic if you ask very nicely.
I was making a batch of my Wendy’s Chili, and like anyone who has tasted this magic dish, my follow up thought was a man, I wished I had a Frito Pie. What are they you ask? Thanks for asking… A Frito Pie is simply a dish of Frito’s splurge for the name brand here, cover them with chili, and top with cheese sauce, and a squirt of mustard. If you are lucky, someone has some chopped onions available. Yes, it may be a heartburn in the making, but the crisp saltiness of the Fritos smothered in chili, topped with cheese, almost makes me want to go back in the kitchen now.
My secret is out, I just outed myself. While that half back that I was in love with in high school is a long fading memory, Frito Pies are something you can make in your kitchen right now.
Thanks to my friend Denise we have the Frito Bandito!
Love the idea of having pie for dinner? Check out these hearty pie recipes
Frito Pie - One of my guilty pleasures
You don't have to live in the South to enjoy a Frito Pie.
- 1 cup Fritos
- 10 ounces chili
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- Yellow Mustard - optional
- Jalapeno slices - optional
- In a bowl, pour corn chips to cover the bottom of the dish. Ladle on hot chili, sprinkle with cheese and onions. Top with yellow mustard and jalapeno slices if you desire.So do you live in the South? Have you tried Frito Pie's before? What do you top yours with? Better yet, share some of your guilty pleasures. I would never invite someone over for a Frito Pie, but I would sure make one if you hinted you wanted one 😉Link to Wendy's Chili is perfect for Frito pie.