White Cheddar Cheese Beer Soup is a thick and rich soup that is perfect to warm up with. This creamy soup is filled with white Cheddar cheese, onions, carrots, and celery. This soup is topped with crispy bacon and diced jalapeno pepper for the perfect combination. Soup always warms the soul whether you are sick and need some comfort food, or if you are cold nothing seems to warm you up like a good bowl of hot soup.
If you have never tried a bowl of cheese soup before you are missing out on a thick and creamy bowl of soup. This isn’t a thin soup, so you feel full after eating this recipe. A variation on this recipe would be to add about a cup of diced potatoes to the carrots, onions, and celery mixture. I like to top my bowl of soup with some tiny diced jalapeno peppers. I think this gives the soup a nice little kick.
You could also make this recipe with any sharp Cheddar cheese, I just happened to have a very large chunk of white Cheddar when I made this soup. You may want to serve this soup with a beer or even a glass of white wine.
White Cheddar Cheese Beer Soup
Beer cheese soup is the perfect soup for fall, it is rich enough to serve as a meal.
- 1 cup diced onion 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup diced carrots 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup diced celery 1/4 inch dice
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth 14 ounces
- 12 ounces Pilsner Beer or Lagers work well
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese grated (4 cups)
- 3 1/2 ounces bacon sliced and cooked crispy
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno pepper
- In a medium-sized pot heat together butter, carrots, celery, and onions. Cook vegetables until they are soft and tender, this should take about five minutes.
Sprinkle flour over softened vegetables. Lower temperature to a low-medium and cook flour for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir the flour continuously so it does not scorch. Stream in half and half, beer, and chicken stock into flour. Cook until mixture begins to thicken.
Add Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard stir into soup. Add cheese by handfuls stirring until all of the cheese is blended in. Serve with cooked bacon and diced jalapeno pepper.