Skillet Lasagna is a great alternative to Hamburger Helper. Are you ever looking for an inexpensive meal to prepare on a weeknight? I know I am, and I have a solution for you.
Recently some of my Youtube folks were looking for inexpensive meals to prepare, and I wanted to come up with a recipe that was inexpensive to make, but very hearty. I always enjoyed Hamburger Helper as a child, and I wanted to recreate this a favorite childhood recipe.
While I do use leftover boxed lasagna noodles for this recipe, you really could use any type of pasta that you like. To help keep the costs down on the recipe I used Italian sausage, which is often on sale at my local Kroger store. I buy it fairly often at half the price of ground beef. I have also tried this recipe with just a half a pound of Italian sausage.
For this recipe I use some fresh onions and some garlic. If you happen to have some bell peppers in your fridge, you could toss in one of those two if you like. This recipe if vary flexible. I use some ricotta cheese to add some flavor, if you like you could swap this out for cottage cheese, either one will work. I personally prefer the ricotta because I like the taste and texture more when the cheese is heated.
Inexpensive meals do not have to be flavorless they can be both filling and delicious. cabbage roll casserole is filling and made with fresh cabbage, ground meat, and rice. Love Hamburger Helper? Try this Hamburger Stroganoff recipe.
Skillet Lasagna - A Better Hamburger Helper
You can make a flavorful homemade hamburger helper in no time at all.
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounce chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles or other type of pasta
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- In a large skillet brown meat, add chopped onion and chopped garlic to skillet. Cook over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Add tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of water, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.Break up pasta and toss into the skillet. Cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta cooks. If the liquid cooks out, you may need to add an additional 1/4 to 1//2 cup of water. Add ricotta cheese. Stir in cheese if desired. You can top with additional cheese.