The Black Labrador is located in Houston, TX. This is a wonderful recipe for bread pudding, and the Brandy Cream Sauce adds a very nice touch! This recipe was originally spotted in the Houston Chronicle.
Black Labrador Bread Pudding
- 2 apples, preferably Granny Smith
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 loaves French bread (large loaves not baguettes)
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- Brandy cream sauce (see below)
- Chop apples into small bite-sized pieces. Soak apples in lemon juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate overnight before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove crust from 1 loaf french bread and slice lengthwise down the middle, then cut into 8 pieces.
- Pour milk into a small pot and add granulated sugar; bring to a boil. Beat eggs, brandy, and almond flavoring together. Whisk in a little of the hot milk, then add remainder, whisking until mixed.
- Layer half the bread pieces in a 9-inch square pan; pour half the liquid mixture over it. Mash mixture with your hands, then pat down into a layer.
- Mix prepared apples with nutmeg, remaining cinnamon, remaining brown sugar, some of the remaining milk mixture and raisins; spoon over bread.
- Remove crust from remaining bread; cut bread into 1 1/2 inch rounds. Overlap bread on top of apples and pour the remaining milk mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven; glaze with apricot preserves. Cut bread pudding into servings; place each serving in a bowl.
- Pour Brandy Cream Sauce over each serving; serve hot. Makes 9 servings.