The original of this recipe is on the back of a prescription pad that is probably older than I am, but it is also bright pink so mom and I always know how to find it. It is my absolute favorite chocolate cake. It is what is made for birthdays and graduation.
Love cake? Check out these other cake recipes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 heaping tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons oil (be generous with the oil)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 stick softened butter
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar (approximately)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- milk, as needed
- Dump all into a bowl and mix well. Pour into ungreased 8x8 pan. Bake 350 for 25 minutes.
- A round pan can also be used, if so bake for about 5 minutes longer in a slightly warmer oven, you have to make the call. A round cake will have a tendency to dip in the middle so we also keep it in the oven after we have turned it off. The dip is always the best part because that is where the most frosting lands!
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Add the milk as you go for smoothness the frosting is always a "make it up as you go along" situation.
- You want it to be creamy and smooth at the end. If you make too much, it is always good enough to eat off the beaters.