Creamy hamburger beef stroganoff recipe is one you will want to make again and again. Beef stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has beef browned and served with onions and mushrooms in a tangy sour cream sauce.
Hamburger Helper has a popular dish, it would be their Beef Stroganoff, if you love their dish, you will fall in love with creamy hamburger stroganoff when made from scratch. You can make this dish in about 30 minutes. So you won’t have to wait all day to have this gourmet meal. You will fall in love with this recipe and make it again and again. It is a fantastic ground beef recipe. We all need new ideas when it comes to ground beef.
This creamy hamburger beef stroganoff can be served with cooked egg noodles, rice, or even other type of pasta. I personally love this dish with egg noodles and pasta. Best of all this dish reheats very well as long as you don’t combine the meat sauce and the noodles. So this makes a great dish to make ahead and reheat during the week.
In this recipe I use dry sherry to deglaze the pan when cooking. If you do not have dry sherry a dry wine will work well. You can use either a red or a white wine as long as it is not sweet. If you do not drink wine you could use a little chicken stock to deglaze the pan. I like the flavor that the sherry adds the best. It gives a lot of added flavor. I am also using chicken stock to make the creamy gravy for this recipe. I think when ever you can layer meat flavors you accent the flavors of the dish.
Since this hamburger beef stroganoff is made from scratch you will finally taste the dish as it was meant to be. I love creating recipes with real food ingredients without the chemicals and the additives that prepared foods have. Best of all this dish is easy to make, and takes about the same amount of time as it takes to make a skillet of Beef Stroganoff from Hamburger Helper. Since this dish takes less than 30 minutes to make I don’t advice making this dish in a Crock-Pot. You don’t want to overcook the onions and mushrooms.
I hope you enjoy this creamy hamburger beef stroganoff. I know that if you try this dish it will soon become a family favorite.
Creamy Hamburger Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced onions (can use white or yellow onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or dry white wine or chicken stock
- 16 ounces chicken stock (use low sodium)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pound dry egg noodles
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Add two tablespoons of butter to a large skillet. Brown ground beef in small batches over medium heat. You do not want to overcrowd the pan. Remove ground beef from the skillet. Place mushrooms and onions in the skillet. You may need to add another teaspoon of butter to saute the mushrooms and onions sprinkle the mushrooms and onions with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Saute the vegetables until the onions are translucent. Add two tablespoons of flour to the skillet. Stir flour until it makes a nice paste. Cook the flour paste for 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with dry sherry, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock to pan. Add sour cream to the pan and stir well. When the sauce is uniform add ground beef back to the pan. Stir the ground beef into the pan. Serve sauce over egg noodles.