In Texas, we have a chain of grocery stores called HEB. HEB makes many dishes from scratch so you can take home a fully cooked dinner, and their food tastes better than many restaurants’ food. While walking through their large deli area, I spotted these cheese balls, and while sadly not everyone lives in Texas, you can make a blue cheese ball just like the HEB does.
So before I begin, let me make a little confession, I love cream cheese. I personally think that cream cheese can be used in any meal, because it can be transformed into an appetizer, side dish, main dish, or even a dessert. When I am stuck for a recipe idea, cream cheese comes to mind because it has the ability to transform into whatever I want. During the holidays, I am often transported back to growing up, and the wonderful foods we had during the holidays. We had a lot of cheese balls, while cheese balls may not seem too glamorous, I think they are a wonderful appetizer to make. They are easy, and can be made days in advance.
How does this relate to the HEB Blue Cheese ball? Well, going through the store the other day, I was trying to get ideas, and here this gem was sitting in the refrigerated case at the cheese shop. Sometimes I am a very shall we say, frugal cook. I sighed heavily when I saw the price on the cheese ball, but I thought for a moment and said this would be the perfect dish to add to CopyKat. Blue cheese adds a nice pungent flavor, which goes so well with a nice dry white wine.
More Cheese Ball Recipes
HEB Blue Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Danish Blue Cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
- Allow cream cheese to soften by reaching room temperature.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine cream cheese and 1/3 cup Danish Blue Cheese. Mix well. Refrigerate overnight; the cream cheese will become solid again.
- Roll into a ball, and then place nuts into a bowl, and press the cheese ball firmly into the nuts.
- Now, let me say some options I would like to try is to use a stronger flavored blue cheese. Do you need more ideas for appetizers, look no further.