Uncooked lasagna noodles are layered with a meaty tomato sauce flavored with Italian seasoning, and a white sauce that contains mozzarella cheese. More cheese goes over the top, before the dish is covered and baked. The noodles cook as the lasagna bakes.
Yield: 12 servings.
Lasagna with White Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 14.5 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided use
- 12 Lasagna noodles
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Add tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, bouillon cube, and seasonings.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in about half of the cheese; set aside. Pour half of the meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Cover with half of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Cover with remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining noodles. Pour white sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until noodles are tender.