I received this recipe for Osso Bucco from the owner of the Original Sicilian Pizza Company. In the 70-80’s I owned a chain of restaurants in the Los Angeles area called The Original Sicilian Pizza Company. I have since sold the restaurants and the last one closed in 1988. These are some of the recipes that I had on my menu.
Original Sicilian Pizza Company Osso Buco
Original Sicilian Pizza Company Osso buco
- 2 pounds Bacon chopped
- 8 pounds Onions diced large
- 2 pounds Carrots -- Peeled & Sliced 1/2"
- 8 Cloves Garlic -- Peeled And Minced
- 2 cups Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Gallons Dry Red Wine
- 2 Gallons Chicken Stock
- 2 Gallons Veal Stock
- 2 cups Brandy
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 pound Unsalted Butter
- 8 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3 pounds Thick Veal Shanks
- Cook the bacon until crisp, remove and drain. Saute the onions, carrots and garlic in the bacon fat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook over low heat stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add the wine, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, or until reduced by half, stirring constantly near the end of the cooking time. Add the chicken and veal stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a china cap (fine meshed sieve) Mix the brandy and the cornstarch together thoroughly. Add to the sauce stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth.. Stir in the butter. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Season the veal shanks with salt, pepper and oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Place into large roasting pans and pour over sauce and cook partially covered, at 250F for 2-3 hours or until fork tender. Remove from heat and refrigerate. Store for up to 2 days. Reheat at 350F in sauce till hot