Great for chilly weather and better the 2nd day. This recipe combined both fresh vegetables for their wonderful flavor, and a few ingredients straight out of a can for convenience. This soup would be perfect to take to work.
Roman Holiday Soup
Thanks to Jim Hatfield for sharing this soup recipe.
Roman Holiday Soup – enjoy this hearty italian soup anytime.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrtos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green beans
- 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces white northern beans
- 1. In large saucepan, sauté onion and carrots in olive oil until onion is translucent2. Add green beans, macaroni, broth and salt. Bring to boil and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and macaroni is cooked.3. In medium bowl, combine tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning & cheese. Slowly whisked in oil.4. (I just stir in with fork) Ladle some of the soup/broth into bowl (warming it up & blending)5. Stir mixture into soup Pot.6. Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into soup, boil for 1-2 minutes) reduce to medium heat until soup has thickened slightly.7. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and white beans and heat through.OPTIONAL: Eckrich smoked sausage, sliced thin, or Shrimp. Ladle into bowl and top with grated parmesan cheese.