Salad Caprese is a wonderful salad that is served in many Italian restaurants, this is one salad you can recreate at home, in just minutes!
Anytime you have fresh tomatoes is the perfect time to prepare a salad Caprese. This salad can be made in just minutes and it is oh so delicious. It is hearty enough to make an entire meal.
This is one of those salads you see served in nicer restaurants, and it is often very expensive in a restaurant, but you can prepare this salad at home with very little effort. A quick wash of tomatoes, and then a couple of quick slices of tomato and cheese and you have this salad made.
During the summer I always plant a couple of fresh basil plants just to make this amazing salad. You can buy pesto and use in place of fresh basil if you don’t want to have to fuss over basil, either way, you are going to have a delicious salad in no time at all.
Salad Caprese is a wonderfully simple salad that you can make at home. I love to make my Salad Caprese during the summer. I always have a container garden of fresh basil, and sometimes I grow a tomato plant or two so Salad Caprese often becomes a dinner meal for me. If you have never had salad Caprese the basic ingredients are mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and fresh ripe tomatoes.
How to upgrade your salad
- Serve on a block of Himilayan salt, the tomatoes will pick up the perfect amount of salt.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction. So easy to make this drizzle ads the perfect touch.
- Use a flavored oil – you can use a lime flavored oil, or even a truffle flavored oil for a special flavor.
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Wash and core the tomato and slice off both the stem end and the bottom of the tomato and discard. Slice the remaining tomato into about 5 or 6 slices.
- You want a basil leaf for each piece of the tomato slice. Slice the mozzarella cheese into about 5 or 6 slices as well. If you have some left over, that is ok. Lay each tomato slice on the plate, sprinkle tomatoes with a bit of kosher salt. Then top each tomato slice with a basil leaf, and then top with a slice of mozzarella.
- Mix together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and drizzle over the salad. Serve immediately. This salad does not make hold well the next day, the basil leaves wilt. Yield: 1 large serving