This stuffing is made with French Bread, chestnuts, and sausage. The French bread gives this stuffing a wonderful texture. This recipe comes from Stanford Court Hotel in San Francisco.
Standard Court Chestnut & Sausage Dressing
Stanford Court Hotel Chestnut & Sausage Dressing
- 1 loaf french Bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 pound well-seasoned fresh bulk Pork Sausage
- 1/4 pound ground Beef
- 4 cups milk
- 15 ounces Prepared Fresh Chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped Fresh Parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh Thyme
- Tear bread into small chunks, spread out on a baking dish, and let dry overnight. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees and butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, and celery, and saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes; do not brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. In the same pan, saute the sausage and beef, stirring and mashing with a fork, until crumbled and cooked through about 10 minutes.
- Drain off fat. Place the bread chunks in a large bowl and while tossing, gradually add the milk. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until the milk is absorbed and the bread is evenly moistened 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onion and celery, meat mixture, chestnuts, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, add the thyme, if desired, and mix well. Transfer dressing to a baking dish and bake, until browned and crispy.