Sweet Tomatoes 100% Whole Wheat Creamy Chipotle Salad is a wonderful healthy salad to prepare from scratch.
First off, Sweet Tomatoes is the name of the restaurant, it isn’t that this recipe contains sweet tomatoes. I love this restaurant because it has a fresh and seasonal menu. They change dishes all of the time, so you will always get a few of your favorite standards, but they will also continually have new dishes for you to try.
I really like this pasta dish, the whole wheat makes it more hearty and more heart healthy. It is packed full all sorts of great vegetables. It contains corn, red bell pepper, black olives, red onion, green chilies, and it even contains red kidney beans. This pasta dish is wonderfully hearty and it really can make a nice light lunch. If you are vegan, you may want to swap the mayonnaise for a vegan variety.
This recipe has one semi-unusual ingredient, it contains chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Chipotle peppers are jalapeno peppers that are smoked. These peppers aren’t very hot, but they have wonderful smokey goodness that you can’t miss. You will make a creamy dressing when you prepare this salad, and honestly, this dressing goes really well on a homemade taco salad. There is also another ingredient in here called vegetable base powder, this you can find in your grocery store near the soup bases.
This pasta salad makes quite a bit, so be prepared to share this with someone, or you may even want to bring it to a large gathering. This hearty whole wheat is the perfect pasta salad for your next gathering.
Love Sweet Tomatoes the restaurant? Be sure to check out my other CopyKat Favorites.
Sweet Tomatoes 100% Whole Wheat Creamy Chipotle Salad
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable base powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (puree)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 3/4 cups kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn frozen
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper 1/4 inch julienne
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 3/4 cup canned diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Pasta Directions: In a large pot bring water and salt to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente (soft, but still firm). Immediately drain pasta and flash cool in cold water. Drain water.
- To assemble, in a large bowl combine pasta, kidney beans, corn, red bell pepper, black olive, red onion, green chilies, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Pour dressing over all and mix until well blended. Store in an airtight container for at least 30 minutes before serving for best flavor.