Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Grandma's Potato Soup
Sometimes there is nothing better than a bowl of homemade potato soup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4 Russet potatoes (Idaho or Russet potatoes are recommended) (This is a total of 5 potatoes)
- 1 potato for the pot
- 15 ounces evaporated milk
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 chopped celery stock
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
Peel and chop potatoes into bite-sized chunks and place into a medium-sized stockpot.
Add evaporated milk and fill up empty can with each whole milk and water.
Add butter, allow to melt. Add chopped celery, onion, chopped garlic, sea salt, and pepper.
Stir until well blended.
Cook on low or simmer until potatoes are soft.
DO NOT allow soup to boil. The flavor of potato soup is enhanced by any buttered sweet roll or dinner roll.
If desired top with fresh or dried herbs, cheese, crumbled cooked bacon.
This potato soup is made with evaporated milk and many thanks go to hyjinx for sharing the recipe.
- Serve potato soup cold during the summer! Vichyssoise is cold potato soup!
- Do not use potatoes that have a green tinge to them, they are past their prime!
- The soup is best consumed 2 or 3 days after it is made!
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 760mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 11.3mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 2mg