Chicken piccata light is a savory chicken dish that can be made in less than 20 minutes. This is also my attempt at eating lighter. I am currently trying to loose a few pounds, but I can’t go the route of those who substitute six ingredients for their lighter version counter parts. Chicken piccata lends itself to being a lighter dish without giving up any flavor.
Chicken piccata is a chicken that is sauteed in butter, and then served with a savory lemon butter sauce. I would recommend serving this with something that is going to help you capture the extra sauce. This would go well with mashed potatoes, and even some creamy polenta. I recommend pounding the chicken out thin, this will decrease the cooking time, and the thin chicken will pick up all of the flavor.
Since the chicken still looks like it is about the same size, you won’t feel deprived. No one wants to feel deprived when having your meal. Pair this up with a salad, and you can also have a low carb dinner. I know some people like their Chicken piccata without capers if you do not like capers you can leave those out. I love the pungent salty flavor of the capers so I always tried to add them to my chicken piccata recipes.
Variations on Chicken Piccata
I know a lot of people do not like capers, or perhaps you have never tried them before. They taste something like an olive, they are pungent salty bits that add a lot to a recipe. I personally love capers when making chicken or fish. You can omit the capers if you desire. The recipe will be good without it. The fresh lemon juice will help the sauce a great deal.
I hope you enjoy this lighter version of chicken piccata.
Light Chicken Piccatta
- 1 pound chicken breasts 2 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally. Wrap chicken breasts in plastic wrap, and use a meat pounder to pound out until about 1/4 inch thin. Salt and pepper chicken breasts lightly.
- Over medium high heat add two tablespoons of butter, and heat until the butter is bubbly. Cook chicken breasts in butter until each side is light brown. This will take about 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken breasts when browned and set on a plate.
- Add chicken broth to pan, scraping the browned bits off the pan, add the remaining butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and capers. When sauce has reduced by 25% add chicken breasts to pan.
My mouth is watering. I LOVE the combination of butter, capers, and lemon. I think I’d probably even add some crispy capers on top as a garnish.
Oh no! I never thought of making crispy capers. I want to do this!
I adore Chicken Piccata it is such a great go to dinner for us!
I have all the stuff for this AND it is low carb..WHOOO HOOO!!
You must have meant that this is 4 servings. 1/2 breast per serving if it’s only 6 weight watcher points.
Oh Yum! Perfect for my low carb diet! Please post more like this one!
dont need to pound anything, just slice across the grain into 1/4″ thin medallions, dust with corn flour, sautee in butter till white (not brown) and take out, will continue to cook whilesauce is being made. I also rduce a bit of white wine with the broth….
wow, that was an easy recipe. I’m also trying my hand at dieting but it seems a little harder than what I was expecting. Maybe I’ll try your recipe and see if I can make a similar one out of beef or fish. Thanks for the information.
Dieting is tough, hopefully with great tasting meals it will be made easier
OMG! This looks so good! The color is beautiful. It makes my mouth water!