Fannie Mae Candy company has long been known for its creamy caramels. You can make these at home. These are soft and chewy delights.
Fannie Mae Caramels
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup chopped nuts if desired
- Tempered dipping chocolate if preferred or wax paper cut into rectangles
- Butter a 9X13 baking pan. In heavy 6 quart Dutch oven, combine sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, milk, cream and butter. Place over medium heat and stir occasionally with wooden spoon until comes to boil. Clip on candy thermometer.
- Please note it can take the sugar a long time to reach the proper temperature, be patient.
- Cook stirring constantly until reaches 240 degrees or soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Pour without scraping into pan. Allow to stand overnight. Cut into 1-inch rectangles or squares. Wrap in wax paper or dip in chocolate.