Here is an old favorite from the Famous New York 21 Club. I like to add a little fresh ground Nutmeg to mine right before serving it. You can find more of their recipes in The ’21 Cookbook.
Be sure to check out the 21 Club Hamburger
21 Club Rice Pudding
- 1 quart milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cream, salt, and 3/4 cup sugar, and bring to a boil. Stirring well, add the rice.
- Allow the mixture to simmer gently, covered for 1 3/4 hours over a very low flame, until the rice is soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Blending well, stir in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the egg yolk. Allow to cool a bit more.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Stir in all but 2 tablespoons of whipped cream and add the vanilla; pour the mixture into individual earthenware crocks or souffle dish.
- After spreading the remaining whipped cream in a thin layer over the top, place the crocks or dish under the broiler until the pudding is lightly browned.
- Chill before serving.
Delicious! Only change I made was to use medium grain rice, as it turns out much creamier than with long grain! I also add dried cranberries (way better than raisins) & honey glazed pecans & walnuts. Yum!
This was very good!