My corned beef breakfast sandwich got its inspiration from the cafeteria where I work. This sandwich is made with corned beef, honey mustard, Swiss cheese, and a fried egg. It is somewhat like McDonald’s Egg McMuffin but served up Irish style.
I wished I was more of a morning person. I find it ironic I wake up early, but have zero desire to actually cook breakfast. Five days a week I have breakfast at the cafeteria at work, well actually I have breakfast at my desk. The last week or two they have been serving up corned beef inspired meals. This breakfast sandwich is surprisingly good. It is even better when made at home.
How I made this sandwich slightly different than the original I heated my corned beef in the skillet. This allowed the corned beef to brown slightly. I made an over-easy egg that had a runny yolk instead of the scrambled egg that they added. I find it hard to beat slightly runny egg yolk. I also toasted the English muffin for a nice little crunch.
Corned Beef Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 English muffin
- 4 slices corned beef
- 1 egg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Toast the English muffin in your toaster.
- In a medium-sized skillet, add the three to four pieces of thinly sliced corned beef. Heat the corned beef over medium heat.
- Flip the slices of corned beef over and add 1 slice of Swiss cheese to the corned beef in the pan.
- If your skillet is not a non-stick skillet, add about a teaspoon of butter and cook the egg in the melted butter. Season egg with salt and pepper.
- Spread honey mustard onto the English muffin.
- Place corned beef with Swiss cheese on the bottom half of the muffin.
- Place the egg on top.
- Add the remaining slice of Swiss cheese on top of the egg.
- Cover with the top half of the English muffin.