These hearty muffins are wonderful on Sunday mornings served with butter. This recipe is from the archives of my grandmother, Ethel Eynard. Jefferson City, MO. 1975.
Date Nut Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins.
- 9 ounces pitted dates coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 12 muffin cups. In a medium bowl stir together dates, boiling water, corn oil, and vanilla. In a small bowl stir together dates, boiling water, corn oil, vanilla. In a small bowl stir together flours, sugar, walnuts, and baking soda. Add to date mixture; stir just until flour mixture is moistened. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin cups.
- If desired, sprinkle muffins with oatmeal for decoration. Bake in 375 degree often for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan. Cool on wire rack or serve warm.