Do you love Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream? You can make this recipe at home. It is very easy to make, and who wouldn’t love to make an ice cream filled with high-quality ingredients? There is nothing artificial in this recipe, so you can enjoy this one guilt-free.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Cherry Garcia ice cream recipe straight from the source
If you are just starting to make homemade ice cream I definitely recommend Ben and Jerry’s book. The recipes are simple, and they are perfect for the many ice cream makers that are on the market. This recipe makes 1 quart of ice cream, so it is a nice small batch.
Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia
I fell in love with this ice cream flavor years ago. There is something so perfect about the combination of sweet and tart cherries with rich chocolate. In fact, it quickly became my favorite ice cream combination. That’s why I was so excited to make it at home.
It is the first ice cream flavor named after a rock musician. Cherry Garcia is named after the lead singer of the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia.
What happened to cherry Garcia ice cream?
There was recently some chatter and confusion about the possibility that Ben & Jerry’s changed the recipe for Cherry Garcia. This is all rumor and hasn’t been confirmed. But I can tell you that making it at home means you can make it exactly how you want it.
Is cherry Garcia gluten-free?
Yes, cherry Garcia is gluten-free.
how to make cherry Garcia ice cream
When you discover how easy it is to make at home, you’ll never go back to store-bought again. I put the recipe in a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
What is in cherry Garcia ice cream?
This is what is in Cherry Garcia ice cream:
- Dark chocolate
- Bing cherries
- Ice cream
I actually made my own ice cream out of sugar, heavy cream, and milk.
Where to buy bing cherries year-round
As you know this recipe contains bing cherries and dark chocolate. You might wonder where you can get bing cherries year-round. You can find them in the freezer section of the grocery store. I found mine at Kroger, I used their Private Selections brand and I found them to be of great quality.
The best type of chocolate to use
For the chocolate I always like to use Ghirardelli when I can, it is always available in the baking aisle of my store. I like to use bittersweet chocolate for this because the ice cream base is nice and sweet, and you don’t need to make it with a chocolate that is super sweet.
Folks always ask me about which ice cream maker I use, I use the Whynter ICM-15LS Ice Cream Maker, Stainless Steel, it is pricier than some models, but this one has the advantage of you not needing to place a bowl in the freezer for up to 48 hours before you want to make the ice cream. I have had about 5 years of use out of my machine, and I have to say I am a fan.
More homemade ice cream flavors to make
I hope you try making homemade ice cream at home. Let me know what flavor of ice cream you like the most. You can check out my other flavors of homemade ice cream available at CopyKat.com.
- Cold Stone Creamery Cake Batter ice cream
- Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Ice Cream
- Ben and Jerry’s French Vanilla Ice Cream
Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
Here is how to make this ice cream flavor right at home.
Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate (bitter or semi sweet) chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Bing cherries fresh or frozen, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Place chocolate and chopped cherries into different bowls and place bowls in the freezer. You want to keep all the ingredients nice and cold.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk the eggs in until light and fluffy. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, Add heavy cream and milk and whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the chocolate and cherries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.