Crunch and Munch Caramel Popcorn is a wonderful (BUT VERY ADDICTIVE) snack that tastes just like the product from the store. I use as many “LITE” products as I can find to help reduce the calories, and it doesn’t seem to take away from the taste. This is a great afternoon snack and perfect for movie night. Enjoy and Happy Snacking!
Crunch and Munch Caramel Popcorn
Love popcorn? Take a look at these recipes:
Crunch and Munch Caramel Popcorn
- 5 quarts popcorn
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup you can use light or dark
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shelled peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250 F.
- Spray a large turkey roaster with cooking spray. Pop the corn in microwave, and remove all unpopped kernels and pour into the roaster. Pour two cups peanuts on the top and try not to let too many fall to the bottom. (If they fall to the bottom, they do not get syrup and will not adhere to popcorn.)
- Melt butter in large saucepan (large pan; because it foams up at the last step and you need that extra size). To that, add Brown Sugar, Karo Syrup and Salt. Keep stirring and bring to a boil. Do not leave syrup unattended at any time. When it starts to boil, let it boil for 2 minutes undisturbed (no stirring allowed).
- Make sure you time it otherwise the sugar could burn. Then, turn off the burner but leave the pan on heat. Add vanilla and stir slightly until it boils again. Remove pan from heat and add soda, stirring vigorously to distribute evenly. Be careful not to let it overflow because the soda will make it foam up. While it is still foaming up, pour syrup over peanuts/popcorn and use the large wooden spoon to mix thoroughly to ensure all pieces are coated with syrup. Put roaster in the oven for up to 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Stir mixture every 15 minutes until it begins to feel crunchy, then flatten popcorn down on cold counter top and let rest for about 30 minutes (or until cooled). After 30 minutes break into clumps and put in airtight jar or bag. Humidity will make product soggy if you leave overnight. If this should happen, just repeat oven procedure until it gets crunchy again. Be extremely careful when working with the hot syrup. Its temperature is very high and can cause serious burns if spilled. This snack can also be made way ahead of time if kept in an airtight container. It keeps very well! But… hide it or it will be gone before you know it. Thanks to dewdropflower for sharing this recipe!
I veganized this with butter-flavored organic coconut oil instead of butter. It didn’t even need to be baked afterward — so crunchy and delicious! Will definitely be making this again <3
This was awesome and just right! I used Dark Syrup and it was perfect. Not sticky at all but nice and crunchy after in the oven for and 1hour and 15 minutes. This is now my favorite caramel recipe now.
I made this with one exception! after reading ingredients on a box of crunch and munch I used 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 brown sugar! Wonderful
Does it matter if the popcorn is buttered or not??
You do not need to butter the popcorn.
I thought crunch and munch was toffee
This recipe is more than 20 years old. At the time the recipe was developed, they had a caramel popcorn version.
is it supposed to be slightly grainy, mine was not smooth like other recipes i’ve used
It sounds like the sugar may have crystallized. There may have been water introduced during the cooking process. This isn’t how it should have turned out.
do you use dark or light syrup?
Either works fine. If you want your final color to be lighter, go with the lighter.
Thanks a lot
I hope you enjoy making Crunch and Munch at home!
Can I substitute the soda for baking powder
I make this alot and it ALWAYS goes fast! I don’t use the microwave popcorn, instead I use a hot air popper and kernals….this way there is no butter or anything on it before you top it with the caramel sauce.