On a recent trip to the Houston Rodeo, I discovered Cheetos Popcorn. What does Cheetos Popcorn taste like? It tastes like magic.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Cheetos Popcorn
It’s hard to beat Cheetos Popcorn. I confess I love cheese popcorn. Walking to my seat for the Rodeo and concert I passed by somewhere I had to stop. That was the Cheeto Popcorn vendor. One bite and I knew this had to be a copycat recipe.
Cheetos Popcorn Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Coconut oil
- Popcorn kernels
- Seasoned salt
- Cheddar cheese powder
Equipment and Ingredient Notes
Using the right equipment and ingredients will give you the best cheddar cheese popcorn with Cheetos. So let’s get started. I have lots of great ideas and recommendations.
For this recipe, I use a Whirley Pop popcorn popper. I think it makes the best popcorn. It is a stovetop pot with a turning mechanism that you can rotate the bottom of the pop so nothing burns. I think this makes the popcorn cook evenly very well.
If you don’t have a popcorn popper, then use a large heavy-bottomed pot. An enameled Dutch oven is the best to use, then either a stainless steel or aluminum stockpot.
Popcorn Seasoned Salt
I also add seasoned salt to the oil when I put the popcorn into the pot. My reasoning on this is simply because movie theaters do it this way, and I think they make delicious popcorn. I really like to use Flavacol. Flavacol is a brand of seasoned salt made especially for popcorn.
Best Oil for Popping Corn
For the oil, I prefer coconut oil, Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn oil, or even plain vegetable oil. All work well. My preference is coconut oil, then the Orville Redenbacher popcorn oil followed up by vegetable oil. All are good.
Which Popcorn Kernel is the Best
Now for the popcorn, I like to buy mushroom popcorn. Mushroom popcorn doesn’t mean that it is made from mushrooms, but it refers to how it pops. You need to look for this style of popcorn. It pops in a round shape.
Gourmet popcorn has often used this type of popcorn. I like it because I think that the kernels can take on flavoring better when it is round like this.
Cheddar Cheese Powder for Popcorn
Now that we have gotten that all out of the way, let’s talk about the cheese powder. I like Hoosier Hill’s Cheddar Cheese Powder I have purchased on Amazon. It is very flavorful and doesn’t taste artificial.
Most grocery stores sell popcorn seasoning, but often the Cheddar flavor is white Cheddar. So I didn’t use the brands that I found at the store.
You can buy a couple of boxes of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and use the macaroni for something else. For this recipe, I felt two packages of the dry cheese powder from two boxes of macaroni and cheese did a good job of getting the flavor intensity just right.
Or you can purchase the cheese powder at the grocery store. Your local store may have a good Cheddar cheese powder seasoning for popcorn. If it is available, you can buy it in your grocery store.
How to Make Cheetos Popcorn
- Place the oil, popcorn, and seasoned salt into a large pot over high heat.
- Place a lid on the pot and gently shake the pot as the popcorn cooks.
- When about 90% of the kernels have popped, remove the pot from the heat.
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl and quickly sprinkle it with Cheddar cheese powder.
- Stir to coat the popcorn with the cheese powder.
- Add Cheetos and stir them into the cheese popcorn.
- Serve immediately.
I like to mix the Cheetos and the cheese popcorn in about a 5:1 ratio. So that means 5 parts popcorn and 1 part Cheetos. Once the popcorn is popped, you will season it with the cheese powder, then add in your Cheetos.
I will say that this is really good when served warm. The Cheetos crisp perfectly this way. So I recommend eating this right away. If you are going to serve this at a party, I would put it in a crockpot on low.
Love popcorn? Try these recipes!
- Chocolate Popcorn
- Crunch n Munch Caramel Popcorn
- Curry Popcorn
- Easy Caramel Popcorn
- How to Make Popcorn in an Instant Pot
- Kettle Corn Popcorn
More Snack Recipes
- Air Fryer Apple Chips
- Cinnamon Twists
- Ranch Pretzels
- Reese’s Snack Mix
- Spicy Beef Jerky
- Teriyaki Beef Jerky
- White Trash Recipe
Crowd Pleasing Cheetos Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese powder of the cheese mix from a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese or 1/3 cup Cheddar cheese powder
- 3 cups Cheetos
- Place the oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot over high heat.
- Add popcorn and seasoned salt.
- Place a lid on the pot.
- Gently shake the pot as the popcorn cooks.
- Cook until 90% of the popcorn pops.
- Remove the popcorn from the heat.
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl.
- Quickly sprinkle the Cheddar cheese powder over the popcorn. Stir well to coat the popcorn with the cheese powder.
- Add Cheetos and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.