Bacon Beer and Cheese Cupcakes, yes, that’s right. I haven’t lost all of my marbles.
My friend Tina introduced a similar cupcake to these. She found this recipe on the cupcakeproject.com website. She brought these cupcakes to a savory tea party, and they were a hit. I know what you could be thinking, that’s a crazy combination. This bacon beer and cheese cupcakes are not too sweet, but the beer and the brown sugar combine with salty and savory bacon to take your cupcakes in a completely different level.
For this competition, one of our secret ingredients was Jarlsberg cheese. We combined this recipe with a darker beer than the original recipe. I thought that this combination was heavenly. If you make this recipe I would urge you to go with a darker beer, beers I would try would be something like Shinerbock, an Oktoberfest, or even a Marzen.
Bacon Beer and Cheese Cupcakes
- 6 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated Jarlsberg
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream plus 1/8 cup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Finely grated Jarlsberg, for garnish
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Chopped bacon, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon until crispy, then remove from oven and finely chop. Coat a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. Heat beer and butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add Jarlsberg and cheddar. Remove from heat, and whisk in the sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream with the egg.
- Mix the sour cream mixture into the beer mixture. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Fold flour mixture into the batter. Stir in 1/2 cup of finely chopped bacon. Fill cups in prepared tin almost full. Bake for 12 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Sift powder sugar in a sifter before slowly mixing in powdered sugar into the butter and cream cheese. Spread onto cooled cupcakes, then garnish with finely grated Jarlsberg and cheddar, and chopped bacon.