Who can sit down to a big game or enjoy a party without a good dip? This beer cheese dip recipe has the rich taste of beer and cheddar cheese. It goes perfectly with pretzels or hearty crackers.
Best Dip for Beer Lovers
This is a hearty dip, that beer is one of the ingredients. You don’t want to miss this dip. This dip even goes well as a sandwich spread on some hearty pumpernickel bread.
Having your friends over on game day should be all about having fun, not stressing out. Make things easy on you by stocking up on plenty of simple snacks and drinks in advance, and don’t forget to whip up this Beer and Cheese Dip recipe. This easy beer cheese dip differs from other recipes because you serve it cold. That means you can make it up to two days in advance and won’t ever have to figure out a way of keeping it warm past halftime. Whatever team you root for, you’ll agree that this dip is the MVP of beer cheese dip recipes.
What Beer Should I Use?
Any lager or IPA works wonderfully in this recipe, so use your favorite. You can even choose non-alcoholic beer if you prefer. However, try to avoid using a ‘light’ beer because the other ingredients can overwhelm their mild flavor. If you love bitter beers, such as stouts, pour them into a glass and drink them because they don’t belong in this recipe.
What Cheese Should I Use?
You can use your favorite brand of unflavored cream cheese as long as it is not the whipped variety. It is not a problem to use reduced-fat cream cheese, and even Neufchâtel cheese is okay. Whichever kind of cream cheese you wind up choosing, make sure you leave it on the counter for about thirty minutes to make it easier to mix in with the other ingredients.
While the recipe below calls for shredded cheddar cheese, you can substitute other types. Monterey Jack, Gruyere, white cheddar cheese, and Pepper Jack are particularly good in this Beer Cheese Dip.
I don’t recommend pre shredded cheese you buy for this recipe, it doesn’t taste as fresh as a block of cheese. Buy the finest shredded cheese you can find in the supermarket. If you are shredding your own from a block of cheese, Using a microplane will give your dip the smoothest consistency.
How to Mix Things Up
There isn’t much to mixing this Beer Cheese Dip, but a few helpful hints make it even easier.
- Pour the dry salad dressing mix into the beer and stir to combine. Doing this prevents clumping and helps distribute the flavor throughout the dip.
- In a large mixing bowl, break the bars of cream cheese into smaller chunks with a wooden spatula. Pour in the beer and leave everything alone for a few minutes.
- Use a wooden spatula to combine the beer mixture with the cream cheese. Add the cheese gradually and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge to let the flavors meld together. You can store the cheese dip for up to 48 hours before serving, but make sure it sits in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
Tips for Making and Serving This Beer Cheese Dip Cold Version
- Use sour cream. For a smoother consistency with even more tang, try replacing up to half of the cream cheese with an equal amount of sour cream.
- Cayenne pepper – if you like a little zing, add about 1/2 teaspoon to start.
- Hot sauce – don’t have any Cayenne on hand, a dash of hot sauce like Tobasco can also give this a bit of flavor.
- Smoked paprika – if you have it on hand, this adds a subtle touch of smokiness to the dip, I recommend 1 teaspoon.
- Garnish with bacon bits and sliced green onions or chives. You can even mix them into the dip if you prefer.
- Store in the fridge for a total of around five days.
What to serve with beer cheese dip?
Provide plenty of food for dipping. Hard and soft pretzels go perfectly with this dip, but don’t forget to put out a platter of carrot and celery sticks as well. Grilled or toasted bread is equally delicious
- Soft buttery pretzels
- Pretzel bites
- Pretzel sticks
- Tortilla chips
- Hearty crackers
- Pita chips
- Frito scoops
- Woven crackers
- Grilled or toasted bread
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Cream cheese
- Ranch salad dressing mix
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Sharp cheddar is my personal favorite to use
How to Make Beer Cheese Dip
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, beer, and ranch mix until smooth.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
Keep the dip refrigerated in a sealed container when not serving.
Love homemade dips? Try these recipes!
- Boudin Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Clam Dip
- Jalapeno Dip
- Lasagna Dip
- Rotel Cheese Dip
- White Queso Dip
More Recipes with Beer
Thanks to Denise Slay for this unique beer dip.
Beer Cheese Dip
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup beer
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, beer, and dressing mix until smooth.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Serve with pretzels or hearty crackers.