This makes a wonderful batter. We have tried the beer batter with Onion Rings and Mushrooms. It quickly has become a favorite batter of ours.
Grand Central Oyster Bar Beer Battered Shrimp
- 2 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup beer flat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 pounds Shrimp shells remove, and peeled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging shrimp
- corn oil fry frying
- Peel and devein shrimp, be sure to leave their tails on. Separate eggs and set whites aside for later use. Whisk egg yolks, beer, 1 tablespoon corn oil, and soy sauce in a bowl. Blend well until smooth. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter. Hold shrimp by their tails and dip into flour and then into the egg batter, coating well. Heat oil for frying make sure it is 375 degrees, you can use a heavy deep skillet, or a Dutch oven. Fry shrimp a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK !! Drain on paper towels. Serve hot and with your favorite tarter sauce or cocktail sauce.