The grilled cheese sandwich is a classic American staple food. Grilled cheese is good for lunch, dinner, and a late-night snack. I put a spin on this classic American dish using tuna.
When I’m yearning for a little something extra or looking for a late-night snack, I make a Grilled Tuna and Cheese Sandwich with the Sweet & Spicy flavor of StarKist Tuna Creations. It’s the perfect sandwich when I want something savory yet sweet.
Most StarKist tuna pouches are 110 calories so any of them would be perfect to add to a regular grilled cheese sandwich. (My recipe calls for Starkist Tuna Creations Sweet & Spicy which is 90 calories!)
First, I make a basic tuna salad mixing a single pouch of StarKist Tuna Creations Sweet & Spicy with a little bit of mayo, relish, onion, egg, and mustard.
Looking for more great tuna recipes? Be sure to check out these recipes, where tuna is the star attraction.
Starkist Tuna Creations Sandwich Recipe
- 1 pouch StarKist Tuna Creations Sweet & Spicy flavor
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon relish
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 boiled egg (optional)
- Prepare the tuna salad by combining the tuna packet, mayo, relish, mustard, onion, and chopped egg if desired.
- To make the sandwich place a slice of cheese on the bread, and then place a small scoop of tuna salad onto the cheese and spread it out evenly. Top with other slice of bread.
- Drop a tablespoon of the butter or margarine (or non-stick spray) in a medium-hot skillet. When the butter has melted drop the sandwich into the skillet, rub the sandwich around to coat it with melted butter, then immediately flip it over. Slide the sandwich around the skillet to coat the bread with the remaining butter.
- Cook on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes or until both sides have browned, and the cheese has started to melt.