Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole is an easy casserole to make that is so comforting and brings the familiar taste of home. This creamy casserole is great for any day of the week.
Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
This classic family favorite creamy tuna noodle casserole with cheese is easy to make and it is made from scratch!
You don’t need to buy a boxed casserole mix. You can make a creamy tuna fish casserole with ingredients you already have in your pantry.
Tuna Casserole Ingredients
To make this flavorful casserole you will need some simple ingredients. Here’s a list of what you need:
- Noodles or pasta
- All-purpose flour
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Canned tuna
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
You can use any type of pasta you have on hand. I have used egg noodles, traditional pasta noodles, and various pasta shapes. It really doesn’t matter, use what you have on hand.
If you have some leftover frozen or even canned peas and carrots those would also be great additions to this casserole.
You can also use any fresh or leftover vegetables to add flavor and customize the casserole to your liking.
How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole
This casserole can be quickly put together in under 30 minutes.
- You make a creamy sauce for the casserole made of a simple white sauce and a can of cream of mushroom soup.
- Stir together the pasta, tuna, cream sauce, cheese, and vegetables.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish.
- Top with buttery bread crumbs and bake.
This Casserole is Perfect for Meatless Holidays
One of the first casseroles I ever learned how to cook was Tuna Noodle Casserole. This was the perfect recipe for Lent when we didn’t eat meat on Fridays.
Easy Tuna Casserole is Perfect for the Beginner Cook
This is a simple recipe that even a beginning cook can prepare. Watch the video to see how simple it is to make it.
What I really love about this casserole is that it reheats very well. So this is the perfect dish to bring to work or to reheat later in the week. You can’t ask for anything better than a dish that tastes great the first day and then the next day too.
Different Tuna Casserole Toppings
You can use a variety of toppings for a tuna casserole. Here are a few I recommend:
- Bread crumbs
- Parmesan bread crumbs
- Cracker crumbs
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Crushed potato chips
- Shredded cheese
Love Casseroles? Try these recipes!
- Chicken Casserole
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Crab Casserole
- Dorito Casserole
- Ham and Egg Casserole
- Jiffy Corn Casserole
- Sausage Casserole
- Spaghetti Casserole
- Taco Casserole with Tortillas
- Tamale Casserole
Popular Seafood Recipes
Check out more of my easy casserole recipes and the best seafood recipes here on CopyKat!
Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 ounces canned tuna
- 1 cup noodles or pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Prepare a white sauce in a medium size pot by adding 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour over medium heat.
- Whisk together the butter and flour together for about 1 minute or until the roux becomes fragrant like pie crust.
- Add about 1/3 cup of milk and whisk this together, the mixture will become thick.
- When the sauce becomes thick, add an additional cup 1/3 of milk, stir together until this becomes thick.
- Add the remaining milk and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Add chopped onion, celery, drained tuna, and cream of mushroom soup. Stir to combine
- Add shredded cheese to the sauce and stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Reduce heat to low.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cooked noodles and sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of melted butter and bread crumbs together.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
This looks good, but before I make it, will 1 cup of pasta really feed 8 people as the recipe indicates?
It is enough for 4 servings.
Your recipe is similar to my mom’s but she added 1 cup fresh green peas and a 1/2 cup cashews.
I love her additions. I need to try making this with the cashews! I have never had it like that before.