Baked Spaghetti Casserole is a dish you won’t want to miss. If you love lasagna, you are going to love this casserole. It is easier to prepare than lasagna and tastes just as good. We will fill with this with ricotta cheese, so it is wonderfully creamy and crowd-pleasingThrown Together Baked Spaghetti Casserole.
I personally love lasagna, but at times I find it difficult to make. Baked spaghetti casserole is easy to make, and it tastes very similar. This recipe is also very flexible; you can add more mushrooms, onions, or even green bell peppers to this if you like. It’s entirely up to you, its your casserole.
Pasta for Baked Spaghetti Casserole
I have made this recipe with bucatini and angel hair pasta. Bucatini is shaped like spaghetti, but the noodles are hollow. I like to use angel hair pasta when I am in a hurry because it cooks most quickly. You can use any pasta, this recipe is very flexible. You can use what you have on hand. If you want to go low carb pasta, you may want to try a low carb or even a whole wheat pasta.
Great make ahead dish
I often like to cook ahead on the weekends for the week. This is the perfect casserole for this reason. This reheats very well. If you want to reheat this dish later before baking it, make sure you use eggs that have already been pasteurized in case you are concerned about the raw eggs. They partially cook when you combine them with the pasta, but we should always be safe.
You can make this recipe with 1 type of meat if you desire. I like to use the mixture of the Italian sausage and ground chuck because it gives a more rich flavor. Again, you can substitute, you could even go for light turkey sausage, and that will taste splendid too. If you can’t find, and Italian cheese blend at your grocery store mozzarella works very well. If you have some leftover vegetables in your pantry, you could easily add a little zucchini or carrots for a nice change.
Looking for more great spaghetti inspiration? Check out these family favorite spaghetti recipes
Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- 12 ounces pasta
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce bacon chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes - add more if you like it spicy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 14 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 3 cups Italian blend cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the 12 ounces of pasta, and cook according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of water for the casserole once the pasta has finished cooking.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Saute together ground chuck and italian sausage. Cook over a medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. While the meat is cooking chop onion and mushrooms and add to the pan. When the meats have cooked thoroughly remove from pan, and drain excess oil if necessary.Place pasta into a large boil and combine with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 beaten eggs and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir will to combine all ingredients.Place pasta sauce into a large bowl with 1 cup of water. Stir to combine. You will create a thin sauce.Pour a couple of ladles of sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Add just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Add half of the cooked pasta to the pan. Spoon ricotta cheese of onto the spaghetti. Add in small dollops it will melt while cooking. Spoon half of the meat mixture onto the ricotta cheese. Add about 1 cup of Italian blend cheese on top of meat mixture.Cover meat with just enough sauce to cover the meat. Add the remaining pasta, and then top with the remaining meat. Add about 1 cup of Italian blend cheese. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.