Spaghetti Salad is a light and refreshing cold pasta salad. It is a popular dish at Luby’s Cafeteria. You can make this easily with items in your pantry.
Luby’s Cafeteria Spaghetti Salad
If you have not tried Luby’s Spaghetti Salad, you are missing out on an amazing pasta salad. This is so easy to make and it is made with lots of fresh veggies. Fresh cucumbers, onions, red tomatoes, all make for a fantastic salad. This spaghetti pasta salad is perfect for a picnic, 4th of July, or whenever you want a cold pasta salad.
The salad dressing is a unique combination of Italian dressing, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and more. You will find this combination to be flavorful, and it tastes better the next day.
Spaghetti Pasta Salad Ingredients
Here is what you need to make this cold pasta salad:
- Italian salad dressing
- Parmesan cheese
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Seasoned salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Red onion
- Fresh parsley
How to Make Luby’s Spaghetti Salad
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain well.
Transfer cooked spaghetti to a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk together Italian dressing, cheese, seeds, seasoned salt, paprika, garlic powder, and peppers.
Add diced cucumber and onion to dressing mixture. Stir to combine.
Pour dressing mixture over spaghetti. Toss to combine.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Top with diced tomatoes and chopped parsley before serving.
I think you will find that salad tastes even better the next day. I love to bring this salad to a potluck or a picnic. It is unusual, so I find this salad gets eaten quickly.
Tips for making the best Spaghetti Salad ever
- Be sure to cook the pasta in salty water. How salty? Add enough salt that the water tastes like saltwater like the sea
- Let the pasta cool off completely before mixing together
- Want to customize the salad? Add your own fresh vegetables that you prefer!
Love spaghetti? Try these recipes:
- Taco Spaghetti Recipe
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole Recipe
- Spaghetti and Butter Sauce
- Browned Butter Pasta
- Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
More Copycat Luby’s Recipes
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Beef Tortilla Soup
- Stuffed Jalapenos
- Cafeteria Style Mac and Cheese
- Italian Chicken
- Cranberry Relish Salad
- Hawaiian Pie
- Butternut Brownie Pie
Be sure to take a look at more of my easy copycat restaurant salads and restaurant pasta recipes.
A fellow viewer sent in this recipe. Thanks to the Bratzy Gal for this one.
Luby’s Cafeteria Spaghetti Salad
- 1 pound spaghetti broken in half
- 16 ounce bottle Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 diced cucumber
- 1 diced red onion
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain well. Transfer to a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together Italian dressing, cheese, seeds, seasoned salt, paprika, garlic powder and peppers until well blended. Stir in cucumber and onion. Pour over spaghetti and toss lightly to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Garnish with tomatoes and parsley sprigs.
I love this one. I make a half batch at a time since I’m the main one who likes it. (I could probably finish a whole batch in a couple of days so ….) I added chopped sweet mini peppers to the latest batch. Might add some mozzarella pearls. Easy to modify to suit your taste. The main ingredients are the italian dressing (I use Ken’s Italian with Aged Romano) and the spaghetti noodles. I think you could easily use other pasta as well. Great cold dish. The hardest part is letting it set for a couple of hours before eating it.
So glad you enjoy it! I sometimes vary the recipe a bit depending upon what I have in my refrigerator in terms of fresh vegetables.
I used to work at Luby’s
Your recibe is delicioso, but at Lubys we didnt use italiano dressing; we used olive oíl and tabasco.
What kind of olive oil please
This looks so fresh and delicious! I love finding new recipes, thank you!
Can't Stop Watching Jeopardy
Question: What is my favorite dish at luby’s?
Answer: Spaghetti salad
Thank you for the delicious recipes. Do you have a recipe for the Luby’s lime jello, cottage cheese salad? Was my favorite, more like dessert than salad, would love to taste it again.
what is coconut cream?
It is a coconut syrup you put in drinks.
I was looking for this recipe from years back eating it and believe me, its very good. I have made it for several gatherings and it’s a winner.