If you like creamy mac and cheese, don’t miss this one! Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese is so much better than the stuff that comes in the blue box.
If you like creamy mac and cheese, don’t miss out on this copycat mac and cheese recipe! Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese made in your own kitchen is so much better than the stuff that comes in a box! Luby’s Mac and Cheese is one of the dishes that is always on their menu. But if you can’t get to a Luby’s, you can still prepare Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese just like Luby’s does, but in your own home.
This recipe for southern macaroni and cheese is simple and has a unique ingredient. It calls for dry milk and water instead of regular milk.
Maybe you grew up going to Luby’s and had their mac n cheese every time, but then they closed their doors in your area. So, if you haven’t been able to eat this in years, you can now make this stovetop mac and cheese at home. This dish comes out super awesome every time!
The Luby’s Story
Bob Luby’s first restaurant dates from 1947 in San Antonio. He wanted to serve good, fresh food in a comfortable setting people would enjoy and wish to return to time and time again – a place that feels like home. The idea was a good one because it caught on. This texas-based eatery has a loyal fan base for a good reason – their food is delicious!
Why Is American Cheese the Best Cheese for This Recipe?
You may have noticed that some cheeses melt better than others. In fact, there’s a scientific explanation for why. This is good to know because gooey melted cheese is the key to certain dishes – fondue, macaroni and cheese, pizza, quesadillas. Yet certain cheeses make really bad choices for these dishes because they simply do not melt well or they get unpleasantly stringy.
American cheese sometimes gets a bad rap. People say it’s too processed or it’s not “real” cheese. However, one thing is absolutely true – American cheese somehow melts to the perfect consistency and tastes so good! This is why American cheese definitely has a place in many recipes. It’s ideal for this copykat cafeteria mac and cheese recipe.
Ingredients for creamy homemade macaroni and cheese
Here’s what you need:
- Dry elbow macaroni
- Nonfat dry milk
- American cheese
How to Make Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain.
Combine dry milk, flour, and butter in a large bowl.
Gradually add boiling water, stirring constantly.
Add cheese and stir until smooth.
Add cooked macaroni to cheese sauce and stir to combine.
Transfer to a lightly greased baking dish.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove foil. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake until cheese melts.
Serve and enjoy!
Love Macaroni and Cheese? Try these Recipes
- Stouffer’s Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Mac and Cheese
- Martha Stewart Macaroni and Cheese
- Horn and Hardart Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Panera Mac N Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Mac N Cheese Hot Dog
Best Luby’s Copycat Recipes
- Baked Fish with Mayonnaise
- Shredded Carrot Salad
- Southern Grits
- Mixed Squash Casserole
- Cold Spaghetti Pasta Salad
- Coconut Cream Pie with Meringue
Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3 cups shredded American cheese divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the pasta according to thepackage directions. Drain and set to one side.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry milk, butter, and flour. Gradually add the boilingwater, beating constantly.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and continue beating until the mixture is smooth andcreamy.
- Stirin the macaroni, one more cup of cheese, and salt.
- Transferto a lightly-greased 2-quart baking dish. Tightly cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle withthe remaining cheese. Put back in the oven for 1 minute, or until thecheese melts.