From this recipe, you might think Mary Ann from Gilligan’s Island is an employee at Luby’s. She isn’t, but guess what? You can make a coconut meringue pie with flaked coconut just like Luby’s.
Coconut Meringue Pie is the perfect pie for when you want a light dessert. This pie is rich and packed full of coconut. Making a coconut meringue pie from scratch isn’t something that only Mary Ann could do on Giliganís Island; it is something you can create as a special dessert anytime. don’t forget–you can find many more of recipes that taste like Luby’s here at CopyKat.com.
Luby’s Coconut Meringue Pie
- 5 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 2 baked pie shells
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- For filling, combine half-and-half and butter in a saucepan. Bring just to boil over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt until cornstarch is completely dissolved and the mixture is well-blended. Gradually add to the mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute or until thickened. Add marshmallows and 3/4 cup of the flaked coconut. Cook and stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is well-blended. Pour into pie shells. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar, a small amount at a time, whisking constantly until stiff peaks form. Spread half the meringue over each pie to edge of crust. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup of the remaining coconut on each pie.Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Refrigerate until served. If you don't manage to eat all of your pie in one sitting, be sure to store the remainder in the refrigerator.
Does anyone have a banana coconut pue recipe from Luby’s?
I just made this and my filling didn’t set and the topping sweated bad and I believe it made pie soggy as well. I followed directions precise. Any advice
I am going to defer to baking bites. The meringue may have been undercooked. Sometimes the way ovens cycle the temperature may have been at the low point. Here is a point of reference.
I went ahead and made this. It was absolutely delicious! I honestly think it is better than Lubys. I love it!!! I’m making this on Thanksgiving for sure!
this pie is wonderful!
Did it taste like Lubys?
I think that it did.