O’Charley’s Caramel Pie is a rich, luscious, and popular dessert at the restaurant. It’s quick and simple to make with dulce de leche and whipped topping. Serve this ooey gooey caramel pie topped with whipped cream, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ooey Gooey Caramel Pie
This O Charley’s Caramel Pie recipe makes a very, very rich pie that’s a sweet tooth’s dream. It’s a creamy dulce de leche filling that’s topped with whipped cream, chocolate, and nuts. This ooey-gooey caramel pie is a decadent and delicious dessert that’s really easy to make.
What Is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de leche is a Spanish phrase that literally means candy made of milk. This milk candy is made from caramelized sweetened milk.
What Is the Difference Between Caramel and Dulce de Leche?
The main difference is that dulce de leche is milk based, while caramel is sugar-based. Dulce de leche is slightly less sweet than caramel.
Why You Should Try This OCharleys Caramel Pie Recipe
This pie is made with dulce de leche, the equivalent of liquid gold. It’s so lusciously sweet and creamy with a delicious toffee-like flavor. What’s more, it’s so easy to make – if you can use a hand mixer, you can make this pie! This O Charley’s Caramel Pie recipe can’t fail to be a big hit with your family.
O’Charley’s Caramel Pie Recipe – Ingredients You Will Need
This ooey-gooey caramel pie is made with just a few simple ingredients, as follows:
- Graham cracker crust
- Dulce de Leche
- Cool Whip Whipped Topping
- Canned (Aerosol) Whipped Topping
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make O’Charley’s Caramel Pie
This O’Charley’s Caramel Pie recipe is not difficult to make. Here are the steps in brief:
- Beat an egg in a small bowl. Brush the beaten egg over the pie crust, covering it fully.
- Bake the pie crust at 375°F for 5 to 6 minutes. Cool the pie completely before proceeding.
- Combine dulce de leche with Cool Whip in a large bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust and smooth out the top.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with whipped topping and sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans on top.
How to Serve Ooey-Gooey Caramel Pie
A piece of O’Charley’s Caramel Pie is perfect for enjoying with your coffee or tea and also makes a deliciously sweet dessert for your favorite dinner entrées.
Plus, it tastes really great with some tart apple slices or apple chips.
How to Make Dulce de Leche
If you can’t find dulce de leche at the store, you can make it with cans of sweetened condensed milk.
Here’s how to make dulce de leche on the stovetop:
- Peel the label off the cans. Do not open the cans.
- Place cans straight up in a large pot and cover them completely with cold water.
- Slowly bring the water to a rolling boil and boil the cans for 3 hours.
- Check the water level as it is boiling and make sure it always covers the cans. Add hot water as needed.
- Use tongs to lift the cans out of the boiling water.
- Allow the cans to cool for at least 1 hour before opening them.
Warning: When you are boiling the cans is not the time to leave the house! Keep an eye on the pot and make sure the water level doesn’t drop. If the cans get exposed, they can explode! Yes, for real – and you’ll end up with a huge cleanup or even remodeling!!
Here’s how to make dulce de leche in a crock pot or slow cooker:
- Peel the label off the cans.
- Place the cans in the crock pot.
- Cover the cans with at least 2 inches of water.
- Cook it on low for 8 hours.
- Use tongs to lift the cans out of the crock pot.
- Allow the cans to cool for at least 1 hour before opening it.
Please don’t even think about opening a hot can! You must wait until the cans are fully cooled. Why? Because hot dulce de leche under pressure will spray and burn you and might even hit your ceiling!
Note: If you are shopping in a hurry, make sure you grab sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk. These two products look identical and are usually located on the same shelf.
How to Use Dulce de Leche
There’re endless ways to make use of this sweet concoction, for instance:
- Add it to your coffee.
- Make dulce de leche and Ritz Cracker snack bites. Salty and sweet, these little treats are perfect for your afternoon tea!
- Tastes great with apple slices.
- Use as a filling for crepes.
- Add it to cakes and brownies.
- Add it to your apple pie filling for a wonderful apple-caramel pie.
- Use it as a quick caramel cream frosting.
- Drizzle it over ice cream, especially chocolate ice cream.
How to Store Homemade Dulce de Leche
Unopened cans of dulce de leche can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 months. Leftover dulce de leche can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
How to Store Caramel Pie
Caramel pie should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 4 days.
For extended storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.
More O’Charley’s Copycat Recipes
Popular Caramel Recipes
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- Caramel Apple Martini
- Caramel Iced Coffee
- Caramel Macchiato
- Homemade Caramel Popcorn
- Chocolate Caramel Cake
Favorite Creamy Pie Recipes
Check out more of my easy pie recipes and the best copycat restaurant recipes on CopyKat!
O’Charley’s Caramel Pie
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 9-inch graham cracker crust
- 3 13.4-ounce cans dulce de leche
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed to room temperature
- 1 cup canned whipped topping to garnish
- 1/4 cup chocolate morsels to garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the pie crust with the beaten egg, covering fully, and bake for 5 to 6 minutes. Allow the crust to cool completely before proceeding.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dulce de leche with the thawed whipped topping and mix until smooth. Pour the mixture into the bottom of the pie crust, smoothing and flattening the top of the pie. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the canned whipped topping, chocolate morsels, and chopped pecans. Best served chilled.
Leave a Reply