You can make easy old-fashioned coconut cream pie at home with this recipe. It’s so easy to make this delicious tropical-inspired pie.
A staple of nearly every roadside diner and corner coffeeshop, Coconut cream pie is a popular choice among pie lovers. Yet, many home bakers are reluctant to try their hand at making a homemade coconut cream pie. It is not at all as intimidating as you may think. This easy Coconut Cream Pie recipe makes it simple to make a coconut pie that rivals can anything you can buy. Give this recipe a try, and you may find that the best coconut cream pie you ever had is your own!
Coconut Pie: Is There a Difference Between Coconut Cream Pie and Coconut Custard Pie?
While both types of coconut pies have very similar ingredients, there is a distinct difference when it comes time for baking. The crust for a coconut cream pie, like the one for this recipe, is pre-baked before adding the pre-cooked filling and then placing it in the fridge to set. Since the filing is never in the oven, coconut cream pies have a smooth, creamy consistency. On the other hand, both the pie crust and filling are raw and baked in the oven together when making a coconut custard pie. This coconut custard pies a richer, denser consistency.
Homemade pie is easy to make!
Since the crust for a thi cream pie is already pre-baked, you only need to worry about cooking the cream filling on the stovetop. As long as you follow the directions and pay attention to temperatures, there is very little that can go wrong.
It’s important to remember not to go too fast! Follow the instructions and you will be able to make the pie in no time at all.
Tips on Serving and Serving the Easy Coconut Cream Pie
- Keep in the fridge. A slice of chilled coconut cream pie is always refreshing.
- Serve it with style. A dollop of homemade whipped cream and toasted coconut shavings on top makes this pie extra special.
- Eat it quick. Try to finish the pie within three days before the crust becomes soggy, and the filling starts to stiffen.
Never miss another one of our recipes by following us on Twitter!
Here is what you need to make the pie:
- Flaked coconut
- Egg yolks
- Cream cheese
- Baked pie crust – make my copycat Martha Stewarts pie crust recipe.
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in milk.
Remove from heat.
Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Immediately return egg yolk mixture to the pan, and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Add butter, vanilla, coconut, and before you remove the mixture from the stove, stir in the cream cheese, and mix well.
Pour into a cooled baked pie shell.
Allow pie to cool to room temperature before slicing.
Slice and enjoy this creamy pie!
More Delicious and Easy Pie Recipes
- Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Mixed Fruit Pie Recipe
- Berry Cheesecake Pie
- Easy Millionaire Pie Recipe
- Ritz Cracker Pie Mock Apple Pie
- Homemade Lemon Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
- Easy Dutch Apple Pie
- Blueberry Sour Cream Pie Marie Callender
Treats for Coconut Lovers
Be sure to check out more of the best pie recipes and easy homemade desserts.
Coconut Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cup Milk
- 1 cup flaked Coconut
- 3 beaten Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 baked Pie Shell
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Immediately return egg yolk mixture to the pan, and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, coconut, and before you remove the mixture from the stove, stir in the cream cheese, and mix well. Pour into a cooled baked pie shell.
Sweetened or unsweetened flaked coconut?
I would use unsweetened.
hello, I would just like to ask a question of you. when you post copy cat recipes are they from restaurants or recipes from friends or family members. When you post a recipe do you state its from a restaurant or ?
Yes, I state if it is from a restaurant in the title of a recipe. So this recipe is obviously not a copycat. Now I have a recipe for Bakers Square Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie and that is clear it’s a copycat recipe.
Looks So Good!! 🙂