Indulge in one of your favorite treats without having to leave the house. This copycat Baker’s Square Coconut Cream Pie recipe is a dessert masterpiece.
Baker’s Square is famous for its pies, especially in the Midwest. This is one of their best pies and I recreated the recipe for you right here. Now, you can make homemade pie at home, it isn’t too hard!
What do you think of when you think of coconut cream pie? Is it the slightly-nutty flavor? Or maybe it transports you to a tropical vacation. For me, I think of a thick slice of homemade pie from Baker’s Square, with fluffy whipped cream on top. This is the perfect way to finish a meal and it pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee.
How To Make Coconut Cream Pie
There are two ways to make a coconut cream pie. There is a regular pie and a black-bottomed version. If you are making the black bottom version this will add about 1 hour to the pie-making process. You will want to add your chocolate layer before you add the coconut cream layer. I recommend using dark chocolate, or bittersweet chocolate for this. You may find milk chocolate to be too sweet.
What’s in coconut cream pie?
Here are the ingredients I used in my coconut cream pie filling.
- Half and Half – you can use heavy whipping cream if you have it on hand, it will just alter the flavor a little bit.
- White Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Coconut Flakes
- Vanilla Extract
What is the blackened bottom of coconut cream pie?
This is my favorite way to make this pie. It’s basically melted chocolate with some milk mixed in. Be careful when you melt the chocolate for this layer. You don’t want to scald it.
Can You Freeze Coconut Cream Pie?
Fresh-baked coconut cream pie will last about 4-days in the refrigerator. Coconut cream pie does not freeze well. Since this is a no-bake pie when you go to thaw it, the texture changes. I recommend just eating it as soon as you make it.
Homemade coconut cream pie
Here’s my recipe for homemade coconut cream pie. You are going to love it!
Can’t get enough delicious pie? Try these reader-approved pie recipes.
- Pineapple Millionaire Pie – like Furr’s Cafeteria.
- Ritz Cracker Apple Pie Recipe
- Baskin Robbin’s Ice Cream Pie – Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup
- Low Sugar Apple Pie Recipe
- Strawberry Pie like Shoney’s
- Original Toll House Pie Recipe
- Frozen Margarita Pie
- Old Fashioned Chess Pie
- Homemade Buttermilk Pie
- Diabetic Pumpkin Pie
- Custard Apple Pie
- Kool Aid Pie Recipe
Here are some savory pies you don’t want to miss
- Copycat KFC Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Pot Pie – Jason’s Deli
- Disney’s 50′s Prime Time Cafe Chicken Pot Pie
Bakers Square Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell b
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Optional Variation If you are making the black bottomed version, heat milk to scalding in a pan on the stove, remove the pan, and add chocolate. Stir the chocolate into the milk until it has melted completely.
- Pour chocolate into pie shell and allow to set for 60 minutes before adding the coconut cream layer.
- In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. R
- Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. t.
- Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
- After pie is chilled add 1 cup of frozen topping and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup flaked coconut.