Baker’s Square is famous for their pies, especially in the Midwest. This is one of their best! You can make home made pie at home, it isn’t too hard!
Please note this pie has two variations, the regular pie, and then the black bottomed version. If you are making the black bottom version this will add about 1 hour to the pie making process. You will want to add your chocolate layer before you add the coconut cream layer. I recommend using a dark chocolate, or a bitter sweet chocolate for this. You may find milk chocolate to be too sweet.
Bakers Square Old Fashioned Coconut Cream pie
Bakers Square Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell b
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Optional Variation If you are making the black bottomed version, heat milk to scalding in a pan on the stove, remove the pan, and add chocolate. Stir the chocolate into the milk until it has melted completely.
- Pour chocolate into pie shell. and Allow to set for 60 minutes before adding the coconut cream layer. In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. . Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm. After pie is chilled add 1 cup of frozen topping and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup flaked coconut.