Jason’s Deli makes some of the most delicious soups and sandwiches. Their chicken pot pie is a delicious recipe that features a crispy and flaky crust. You can recreate this recipe at home with this copycat recipe.
What makes this chicken pot pie so good? Jasons Deli makes a creamy soup that everyone loves. This creamy soup is packed with tender chicken, peas, carrots, and potatoes. It is topped with a puff pastry top that is irresistible. You can recreate this soup at home, it isn’t hard to do at all.
The flaky puff pastry can be purchased in most grocery stores. Pepperidge Farm makes a great puff pastry that is available in the freezer section of your store. I find the puff pastry next to the frozen pie shells most often. I am sure you can find it in your grocery store. I have found this at Kroger, Wal-Mart, and HEB. You will need to unthaw the puff pastry dough just before you need to use it. It generally takes about 30 to 45 minutes for the puff pastry to thaw to where you can work with the dough.
The next thing we are going to work on is the creamy soup. For this recipe, I am going to to start out a white sauce. I have seen some recipes online start with canned vegetables. For this recipe, I am going to use frozen vegetables. I purchased some mixed vegetables in the frozen section of my grocery store. I also used fresh potatoes and white onions to give our soup base some additional flavor and texture.
The Jasons Deli Chicken Pot Pie soup is flavored simply with salt, pepper, and some chicken soup base. I think soup base gives the soup a good flavor. If you have never bought soup base before it is often sold right next to the bullion that you are very familiar. The soup base comes in a jar, and it is a paste.
What I like about this soup is that you can serve this up in individual dishes that do not need to be heated up in the oven. Some soup recipes require oven safe dishes, but not this one. You can enjoy this one without using a fancy dish.
If you like this Jason’s Deli, try these other CopyKat Recipes
Jasons Deli Chicken Salad
Jason's Deli Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast chopped
- 2 cups frozen vegetable medley
- 1 cup potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan saute together white onion and butter over medium heat. Saute onion until it becomes fragrant and translucent. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of flour over the onions. Cook flour and onions together for about 1 minute. The mixture will become fragrant like pie dough. Slowly add about 1/4 of the half and half to the soup, stir continually. Add an additional 1/4 of the half and half and stir, the mixture will thicken. Add remaining 1/2 of half and half and stir until the soup base becomes smooth.
- In a small pot at diced potatoes. Cover potatoes with just enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook the potatoes on medium-high until they become tender. Drain potatoes, and reserve for soup. Add chopped chicken breast, frozen vegetables, potatoes, and chicken base. Stir until the soup is well blended. While the soup is heating through you can cook the puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry into sizes that best fit for your bowl. I use 3-inch by 3-inch squares. Bake puff pastry until golden brown, this will take about 15 minutes.