Follow this easy recipe for Chili Relleno Casserole made with Bisquick, green chilies, and two kinds of cheese. It’s creamy, cheesy, and great for a meatless meal.
What Is Chili Relleno?
An authentic Chili Relleno is a chili pepper stuffed with cheese and sometimes with meat. It’s usually fried or grilled.
I really love Chili Relleno, but it’s time-consuming. That’s why I really enjoy this casserole. It might take 50 minutes to bake, but the prep is really simple.
Here’s what I put in my casserole:
- Shredded Cheese – I used sharp cheddar because it has the best flavor. You can use any combination of cheeses for it. I also use Monterey Jack to make it nice and cheesy.
- Butter – to help keep the casserole from sticking to the baking dish.
- Eggs – The egg-size doesn’t matter. You just need 3 eggs of any size.
- Milk – If you can’t have cow’s milk, you can use almond milk instead.
- Bisquick – If you are on a gluten-free diet you can use a gluten-free substitute.
- Chilies – I used Ortega whole and diced green chilies. The canned ones have a better texture and last longer on the shelf.
How to Make Chili Relleno Casserole
This is such an easy recipe to make. The prep work is a breeze. You just mix up the ingredients and then layer them in the casserole dish. Here are the recipe steps:
- Combine Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses in a bowl.
- Spread melted butter in 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Lay whole chilies on top of the melted butter. Sprinkle two-thirds of the cheese on the chilies.
- Mix the milk, eggs, and Bisquick until smooth.
- Stir in diced chilies and pour the mixture over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
Does Relleno have meat?
The main stuffing for the chili pepper is cheese. It is optional to add meat such as ground beef, pork, or chicken.
Can you freeze Chili Relleno Casserole?
Yes, this makes an excellent freezer meal. Before you bake it, seal it and put it in the freezer. Label it with the date. It will last about 3 months in the freezer.
When you are ready to bake it, take it out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw in the refrigerator. Then, bake it like normal.
What do you serve with Chili Relleno Casserole?
This could be a meal all on its own. But if you want some side-dish ideas, try one of these.
- Spanish Rice Recipe
- Mexican Style Refried Beans
- Easy White Queso Recipe
- Corn Air Fryer Recipe
- Casa Ole Salsa
More Tasty Casseroles
- Cracker Hash Brown Casserole
- 7 Layer Casserole Ground Beef
- Crab Casserole Cheese Seafood Bake
- Taco Spaghetti Casserole
- Tuna Mushroom Casserole
Popular Copycat Recipes
Chili Relleno Casserole
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 7 ounce can whole chilies
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Bisquick Baking Mix
- 1 4 ounce can diced chilies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Combine Cheeses in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish. You can do this by placing the butter into the baking dish while the oven is preheating.
- Lay whole chilies on the melted butter, covering the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle 2/3 of the cheese on chilies.
- Mix the milk, eggs, Bisquick until smooth. Add diced chilies and pour the mixture over the cheese. Top with remainder of cheese. Bake for 45 minutes.