You can make a delicious and sugar-free apple pie. This recipe has no added sugar and is perfect for folks who want to cut back on sugar.
Americans love our sugar. The average, yes, average, American consumes over 150 pounds of it each year, according to the US government. If you are like millions of others who are trying to cut down on the amount of sugar that you eat, you probably take it for granted that apple pies are off the menu. Well, they don’t have to be!
This sugar-free apple pie recipe comes directly from my own Grandma’s kitchen! She developed this recipe after years of struggling to find a sugar free apple pie her diabetic husband would actually love! I think she did it.
This recipe makes pies that are not only delicious, it also contains no added sugar at all. Bake this homemade sugar-free apple pie recipe the next time you have a sweet craving, and I am pretty sure that you won’t even miss the sugar.
The Secret to an Amazing Sugar-Free Apple Pie
There are two equally critical components to any apple pie: the crust and the filling. Get one of those wrong, and even if the other is really, really good, the pie will turn out mediocre at best.
This recipe calls for two prepared pie crusts. Sure, when you are short on time, you can use a store-bought crust (make sure that it does not contain any sugar). But you really ought to do yourself a favor and make some homemade pie shells.
With the pie crust out of the way, it is time to move on to the filling. The challenge with making a tasty sugar-free apple pie filling is two-fold. Not only does the filling have to be delicious, but it needs to be thick enough not to ooze out of a slice and run all over the plate.
This recipe uses one and a half tablespoons of cornstarch as a thickener. Cornstarch works well, but you need to make sure you cook the filling long enough to let cornstarch do its magic. Make sure the liquid in your filling is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon before removing it from the heat.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Pie crusts – here is my favorite recipe for
- Delicious apples you can use granny smith apples if you desire
- Frozen apple juice
How to Make Sugar Free Apple Pie
- Place apples and apple juice into a large pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water. Gently stir cornstarch into the apple mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until apples begin to soften.
- Stir in cinnamon and allow filling to cool to room temperature.
- Place a pie crust on a pie dish.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie crust, spread evenly, and cover with the top crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Brush the top with melted butter after baking.
Tips on How to Make and Serve Sugar Free Apple Pie
- Keep your pie crust ingredients cold. Never allow your pie crust ingredients to heat up, that especially is true for the butter. Overmixing can add unwanted heat to the crust.
- Make sure the filling is completely cool before filling the bottom crust. Not only is it better for the crust as discussed above, but allowing the sugar-free apple pie filling to cool will enable it to thicken entirely.
- Add a sprinkling of cheese before baking. Cheddar cheese goes great with apple pie. Try it out by spreading a handful of shredded cheddar to the top of the crust for the last five minutes of baking.
How to store no-sugar added apple pie
You can store your homemade apple pie on the countertop at room temperature. Your pie will last for about three days at optimal quality. There is no need to refrigerate this fruit pie.
Notes about this recipe
This recipe adds no additional sugar in the recipe, yes, apples do naturally contain sugar. This is not a keto recipe or a low-carb recipe. This recipe simply removes the added sugar, and let’s the sugars in the apples shine through.
More Sugar-free Dessert Recipes
Can’t get enough apples? Try these recipes!
- Fall Apple Recipes
- Large Batch Oatmeal with apples
- Apple Cider Pork Loin
- Baked Opal Apples
- Apple Pie Tacos
- Fried Apples
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Homemade Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- Wendy’s Salads – Apple Pecan with Chicken
Sugarless Apple Pie
- 2 pie crusts
Sugar Free Apple Pie Filling
- 6 apples Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
- 6 ounces frozen apple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sugar Free Filling
- Place apples and undiluted apple juice into a large pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water. Gently stir cornstarch into apple mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 to 15 minutes or until apples begin to soften. Stir in cinnamon.
- Fill pastry shell with apples and cover with top crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Baste with melted margarine or butter after baking.