You can make an old-fashioned Dutch Apple Pie with this recipe. Source Ethel Eynard. Jefferson City, MO. 1998. The pie itself is low fat; the suggested topping would be less low in fat.
Do you love apple pie? Be sure to check out these other apple pie recipes
Dutch Apple Pie
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1 egg white beaten
- 5 1/2 cups apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush the bottom and sides of the piecrust even with egg white. Bake on a baking sheet until light brown this will take about five minutes. Remove crust from oven. In a bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mix well, spoon into crust. Sprinkle topping evenly over apples. Make the crumb topping by combining in a bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar; cut in 1/3 cup margarine or butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
- Bake on baking sheet 50 minutes or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Makes 8 servings.