You don’t need to buy a box of Hamburger Helper Stroganoff, it is so easy to make, and the taste is so much better! Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff is quick to make with a few simple ingredients. You can eliminate many preservatives when you prepare recipes from scratch.
Table of Contents
Beef Stroganoff with hamburger
Beef Stroganoff Hamburger helper is quick to make with a few simple ingredients – ground beef, soup mixes, sour cream, and pasta. You can eliminate many preservatives and high sodium when you prepare recipes from scratch.
The untold story about Hamburger Helper
Haven’t we all just taken that red and white box for granted? But, did you know that Hamburger Helper was introduced during a beef crisis? In 1972, a change in the population of anchovies used in animal feed caused beef prices to skyrocket.
Hamburger Helper was launched to help people stretch their beef and their dollars. The box mix paired with just one pound of beef put dinner on the table for America’s families. Read more by clicking here.
Homemade Beef Stroganoff with Hamburger
Now you can make this classic comfort food from your childhood and your college days from scratch in one pot in just thirty minutes. Even the pasta gets cooked right in the pot!
This homemade creamy hamburger helper recipe stretches your food budget, and you get to control what goes into it.
In no time at all, you can prepare a large meal for not a lot of money, and it doesn’t get better than that! Enjoy this quick and delicious hamburger stroganoff recipe, and you won’t go back to the box.
Don’t be afraid to swap out the pasta for noodles that you have on hand. I often use a meal made like this hamburger stroganoff recipe to use up the odd bits of pasta that I have leftover.
Homemade Hamburger Helper Stroganoff ingredients
Here is what you need to make this Beef Stroganoff recipe:
- Ground Beef – ground chuck is my preferred
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Bow Tie Pasta – you can use any type of pasta you have on hand
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – you can use a store brand if you like, I don’t think paying more here makes much of a difference
- Sour Cream – I personally love Daisy Sour Cream, and I highly recommend it.
How to Make Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
- Cook ground meat in a large 10-inch skillet that has a lid over medium-high heat. Drain off the fat and return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the onion soup mix, hot water, and mushroom soup. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add the bow tie pasta and bring it back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- You can garnish with chopped green onions or chopped parsley if desired.
Ideas for changing this Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta – you can add your own twist
This beef stroganoff recipe is very flexible, and I’m sure you’ll find ways to customize it to your preferences. Here are a few ideas to get you started making your own fresh twist to this basic recipe.
- For a heartier dinner, you can go up to 2 pounds of lean ground beef.
- Instead of using hot water, you could swap the water for beef broth, this will give you more flavor, but it will have a higher sodium count.
- If you really like mushrooms, add a couple of small cans of them.
- Switch the mushroom soup with a roasted garlic variety of mushroom soup.
- To make a more complete meal, add some fresh broccoli or other vegetables. You can definitely hide vegetables that your kids will eat in this recipe.
- If you want a cheesy dish, use cheese instead of sour cream. Throw in some diced tomatoes and really enjoy something nice!
- Want to dial up the flavor, consider adding a couple of teaspoons of dijon mustard to the sauce mix.
- Add a chopped bell pepper when you add the noodles.
- Instead of using water, you can use beef stock
Frequently asked questions
You can swap the sour cream for heavy cream or even creme frache. The consistency will be creamier without the characteristic tang of sour cream.
You can use any shape of pasta you desire, you could swap the pasta for egg noodles, a gluten-free or grain-based pasta if you desire.
Storing, freezing, and reheating leftovers of Hamburger Helper Stroganoff
- Store – store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze – store in an airtight container in your freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat – this can be easily reheated when covered in the microwave. You may want to stir in a small amount of sour cream, as the pasta will absorb some of the sauce when it is stored.
What to serve with Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff?
This is a very versatile dish! The flavors of this blend with so many things! I personally love to serve this dish with a salad, or sometimes I saute some yellow summer squash, or I sometimes serve this with some green beans.
Easy Ground Beef Dinner Recipes
- Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Ground Beef and Green Beans Casserole
- Meatloaf Restaurant Copycat Recipe
- Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Hamburger Casserole
- Homemade Ground Beef Casserole
- Mexican Cornbread with Jiffy Mix
- Stuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Hash Brown Ground Beef Casserole
- Coney Island Chili
More Budget-Friendly Recipes
Thanks to Maclll for sharing this recipe.
Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound bow tie pasta
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the meat is browned drain fat.
- Add the onion soup mix, water, and mushroom soup. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Addthe bow tie pasta and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high,cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Take off the heat and gently stir in the sour cream.