You don’t need to buy a box of Hamburger Helper for something this easy, and the taste is so much better! Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff is quick to make with a few simple ingredients. You can eliminate many preservatives when you prepare recipes from scratch.
You don’t need to buy a box of Hamburger Helper for something this easy, and the taste of this homemade hamburger stroganoff is so much better! This hamburger helper recipe is quick to make with a few simple ingredients – ground beef, soup mixes, sour cream, and pasta. You can eliminate many preservatives and high sodium when you prepare recipes from scratch.
The Untold Story About Hamburger Helper
Haven’t we all just taken that red and white box for granted? But, did you know that Hamburger Helper was introduced during a beef crisis? In 1972, a change in the population of anchovies used in animal feed caused beef prices to skyrocket. Hamburger Helper was launched to help people stretch their beef and their dollars. The box mix paired with just one pound of beef put dinner on the table for America’s families. Read more by clicking here.
Now you can make this classic comfort food from your childhood and your college days from scratch in one pot in just thirty minutes. Even the pasta gets cooked right in the pot! This homemade creamy hamburger helper recipe stretches your food budget, and you get to control what goes into it.
In no time at all, you can prepare a large meal for not a lot of money, and it doesn’t get better than that! Enjoy this quick and delicious hamburger stroganoff recipe, and you won’t go back to the box. Don’t be afraid to swap out the pasta for noodles that you have on hand. I often use a meal made like this hamburger stroganoff recipe to use up the odd bits of pasta that I have leftover.
Ideas for Changing This Hamburger Helper Recipe
This beef stroganoff recipe is very flexible, and I’m sure you’ll find ways to customize it to your liking. Here are a few ideas.
- For a heartier dinner, you can go up to 2 pounds of ground beef.
- If you really like mushrooms, add a couple of small cans of them.
- Switch the mushroom soup with a roasted garlic variety.
- To make a more complete meal, add some fresh broccoli or other vegetables. You can definitely hide vegetables that your kids will eat in this recipe.
- If you want a cheesy dish, use cheese instead of sour cream. Throw in some diced tomatoes and really enjoy something nice!
Here is what you need to make this Beef Stroganoff recipe:
- Ground Beef – ground chuck is my preferred
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Bow Tie Pasta – you can use any type of pasta you have on hand
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Sour Cream
How to Make Homemade Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
Brown the ground beef and then drain off fat in a large skillet that has a lid.
Add the onion soup mix and water and mushroom soup. Mix well and bring to a boil.
Add the bow tie pasta and bring back to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-high and cover.
Cook for 10-12 minutes.
easy ground beef dinner recipes
- Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Ground Beef and Green Beans Casserole
- Meatloaf Restaurant Copycat Recipe
- Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Hamburger Casserole
- Homemade Ground Beef Casserole
- Mexican Cornbread with Jiffy Mix
- Stuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Hash Brown Ground Beef Casserole
- Coney Island Chili
More Budget-Friendly Recipes
Thanks to Maclll for sharing this recipe.
Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound bow tie pasta
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef and then drain off the fat.
- Add the onion soup mix, water, and mushroom soup. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Addthe bow tie pasta and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high,cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Take off the heat and gently stir in the sour cream.